Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 3 2D/3D Assignment: Baking Maps

I have never struggled with maya as I have with this project. I felt as though I fixed my model. But it hasn't been agreeing with me still, in terms of UV mapping. Everything concerning the UV map was fine, until I tried to push the model into High Res. As a result, all of my baked maps are not coming out correctly and the UV map seemed to get corrupted. My ambient occlusion map turns out black, for some reason. A glitch also occurs on the model, turning it black. If you look at the UV editor, some faces are misshapen and on of the handles has been scaled awkwardly. I tried mapping it by faces, but it still wouldn't cooperate.

Will attempt to keep pushing this cannon. But I'm horribly behind...












5 comments:

  1. Interesting to see how the curriculum has changed, I don't even remember being assigned baking maps and stuff when I was there, sort of had to figure it out as needed.

    Something that might help if you haven't figured it out already is (I'm assuming you're baking in Maya ATM) is to select your high poly meshes and add them to the "source meshes" section in the transfer maps dialog. If you don't, any geometry that is not your low poly, whether it is hidden in a layer or otherwise will be part of the bake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the normal map generated, it looks like some of your UV shells are connected and stretching across the UV space, which is definitely going to cause all kinds of weirdness when you bake the map. If Maya UVing isn't agreeing with you, try out the demo of 3D Coat or download Headus UV Layout. Both of them allow you to slice up your model in 3D space very easily (not sure if Maya 2016 has introduced anything similar) which makes UVing the model soooooo much easier because you can visualize where you need to cut shells and just cut them. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also if your AO is coming out black, the model is probably turning black because there is a checkbox to auto assign maps to a new shader every time you bake, uncheck this the second time you bake and just refresh the textures after baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SOOOOO much for your feedback!! I seriously appreciate it and used it! Meant a lot to me that you took the time to help out. This is pretty embarassing, but I forgot the simple detail of setting up lights. That was why my AO wouldn't come out. Have learned loads since. Thanks again ( ^ o ^)

      Also which cohort are your from, if you don't mind my asking?

      Delete